Sunday, September 6, 2009

Better Sleep with Noise ... Wait, What?

The title of this post "Better Sleep with Noise" just might invoke a "Wait, What?" response from you. For all of my sleep irregularities, there is certainly one thing that has always helped me to fall asleep, and stay asleep compared to not using it, and that is: white noise. What is white noise? Well for our purposes, white noise is just background noise that your brain doesn't really focus on. The easiest way to get this is to just use a fan!

The sound of the fan blowing produces a static, background noise. You're brain (well, at least MY brain) doesn't focus on this, compared to say listening to music or the television. The fan also masks outside noises, so say that garbage truck in the morning, or someone else in the house making breakfast, or anything else that might wake you up if there was NO noise, the white noise lessens the sound of the other noise. This, in turn, helps me to fall asleep better by the background noise that it makes when I am trying to fall asleep, and it helps to give me better sleep by being able to STAY asleep when a noise might have woken me up otherwise.

So, I really recommend getting one of those "box" fans, or something very similar. If the temperature is cold, you can just point the fan in a way that it doesn't really move air around, it's just making the noise.

That said, if you remember my last post about Better Sleep with Exercise that night I slept really, really well! So well in fact, that I slept for about 9 hours! Now, that may have had something to do with the fact that I hadn't gotten hardly any sleep at all the previous night, but still I slept really good.

The following day I didn't go for a walk, but I was out at a backyard BBQ most of the day. I ended up not being tired until roughly 4am again, and woke up tired today. Take that for whatever it's worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment